Dock Plate Repair

Dock Plate Repair:

This dock plate repair was done to control rodent access to the interior of the dock. There were gaps between the frame of the dock plate and the dock plate itself. These gaps allowed access for mice and rats to enter the building.

We brought some 1/8th” diamond plate to match the existing plate. There were several ideas about where to weld the space fillers. We decided to weld butt joints so the dock plate could still be used “below dock level”.

Dock Plate RepairDock Plate WeldingDock Plate RepairBelow Dock Level

Bridge Repair

Bridge Repair:

Last week we did some emergency bridge repair for CalTrans. The job started at midnight with three of four lanes shut down. One of the finger joints on the Carquinez Bridge had a cracked plate covering the joint and needed to be replaced before it lifted and caused an accident. Using grinders and a plasma cutter we removed the old plate that was 3/8″ thick. We prepared and installed a thicker plate at 5/8″. After preheat was applied, the new plate was welded into place using 5/32″ 7018 rods fresh out of the rod oven. It was a pleasure working with professionals that value safety on the job.

Bridge RepairMeasuring the PlateOxy Fuel CuttingWelding the New PlateFillet WeldFinger Joint

Dumpster Enclosure

Dumpster Enclosure:

I got a call for some welding repair on a dumpster enclosure today. When I arrived it was easy to spot the gate without the padlock eye. It had been broken off by vandals. I cleaned up the area to weld a new eye in place. Fortunately I brought some 1/4″ flat bar and a plasma cutter. I was able to fabricate a new eye in about 10 minutes. Then the customer wanted a box to cover the padlock. I took measurements and returned to the shop where I had 1/8″ diamond plate in the scrap pile. I fabricated two lock boxes and returned to the job site to weld them in place.

Dumpster Enclosure LockDumpster Enclosure EyePadlock Box

Trailer Repair

Trailer Repair:

This boat trailer repair was done just in time. As the photos show, the trailer was repaired at least one time before. As the photos also show, the repair didn’t hold water. The sub par patch job was the first problem. The fact that the repair wasn’t protected from rusting was another.

When the trailer arrived at NorCal Welding, the customer was told we would fix the problem. That doesn’t mean we would just throw another patch on. That meant cutting out the rusty steel and replacing it with new metal as if it were new from the factory. After fabrication was complete, a coat of primer and paint was applied to inhibit rust from affecting the trailers structure again. Since we only repaired the front of the trailer, I have a feeling we may see this one again.

Rusty Boat TrailerBroken Trailer FrameTrailer RepairNew SteelTrailer Repair Complete